QCEA Celebrates Retirees: Michael Mackey

 Since we can't celebrate in person, QCEA wants to celebrate all of our retirees online. We thank them for their years of dedication and service, and we wish them all the best in retirement! 


Name
Michael Mackey

Last Teaching Assignment11 English AP Lang and 11 English Honors

Number of Years in Education: 34

Number of Years Teaching in Quakertown: 34

Which building(s) have you worked in?
Strayer, Milford, Senior High School

What will you miss the most about teaching? 
The everyday relationships with faculty and students

What will you miss the least about teaching? 
Grading essays

What is your happiest memory from your time in Quakertown? 
Teaching vocabulary and grammar and making a difference in a student’s voice through the application of these

What advice do you have for teachers?
The days are long and the years are short!  Enjoy life along the way! 

What are your retirement plans? 
Substitute teaching, Tutoring, Reinventing myself through a new career


______________________________________


Thanks for the memories. 
This next section of the blog post includes some fond memories shared by colleagues. 
 

Mike is special because he is selfless in a world that is selfish. 20 years ago, when I started -- I knew nothing. Then I sat down and observed Mike...I learned the art of teaching. I knew books, but I never knew how to teach those books in a memorable way until Mike's guidance. From the first day I was never a "new teacher." Mike viewed everyone as a colleague who could contribute and we were always grateful for his understanding. There are countless field trip stories, wedding toasts, prom memories, vacation stories -- and those are memories I will cherish; however, I'm going to miss the daily jokes, bickering, birthday pranks, and genuine laughter in the hallway.
- Nick Burch




I loved working with Mike - we taught 11th grade together for years and years, and when I started teaching AP Language with him, he could not have been more gracious. We spent hours talking about grammar and writing style, rewriting the syllabus for a course he had designed himself, and he let me in. He didn't try to keep me from the work - he let me join. I loved our common planning time, talking about our work but also our personal lives and insecurities. One of my favorite memories was after I adopted my son, Mike and another colleague came to my home to celebrate my birthday - they brought a cake, champagne, champagne flutes, and lots of laughter. As someone with a summer birthday, I rarely get to celebrate with colleagues, so it was so special to have them celebrate with me like that! Mike was a wonderful colleague, funny and supportive, and the department lost a great mind when he retired! I'm so thankful we keep in touch, and we check in periodically. 
- Rachel Girman


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QCEA Celebrates Retirees: Jonathan Lechner

QCEA President Shares Statement at 11/12/20 School Board Meeting

Welcome to QCSD, Erin Camburn!