QCEA Loves Our Nurses: Melissa Kelly

QCEA wants to celebrate all of our nurses working tirelessly through the days, nights and weekends to help keep our staff, students and community safe places to work and learn. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Thank you also for your efforts that we see and for all of the work you do behind the scenes. 



Name: 
Melissa Kelly


Which building(s) do you serve?
Quakertown Community High School


How long have you been a school nurse? 
This is my third year as a Certified School Nurse and my 5th year working in a school setting.


Why did you become a school nurse?
Nursing is my second career. When I went back school in my 20s I was torn between teaching and nursing. Ultimately, I chose nursing because it had a stronger job market at that time. Once I completed my degree and began working, I started thinking about what kind of nursing I wanted to do long term. School nursing was a perfect fit, it combined by interests in education and health care. 


How has COVID impacted your job this school year? 
COVID has been challenge. Every day I am learning something new and being challenged in new ways. While I look forward to the pandemic being over, and returning to my normal working hours, I think I have experienced a lot of personal and professional growth over the last year. 


Out of all of your responsibilities, what do you feel is your biggest challenge?
Being a nurse in a large school while trying to finish grad school and be there for my husband and children has been a huge challenge this year. 


What do you find most rewarding as a school nurse?
I truly love helping others. It's the reason I left the business world and pursued a different career. If at the end of the day I feel like I helped even one person, I'm happy.


Using just one word, name something that drives your passion?
Caring


What's something you'd like to share with the Quakertown community?
I would like to thank the Quakertown Community for welcoming me back so warmly this year. I worked here as a Registered Nurse for 2.5 years and left for a Certified School Nurse position in another district. I worked there for two years, and I missed being a part of the Quakertown Community School District. It has been a dream come true to return this year. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QCEA Celebrates Retirees: Jonathan Lechner

QCEA President Shares Statement at 11/12/20 School Board Meeting

Welcome to QCSD, Erin Camburn!