QCEA Loves Our Nurses: Maggie Stauffer

QCEA wants to celebrate all of our nurses working tirelessly through the days, nights and weekends to help keep our staff, students and community safe places to work and learn. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Thank you also for your efforts that we see and for all of the work you do behind the scenes. 



Name: 
Maggie Stauffer


Which building(s) do you serve?
Richland Elementary


How long have you been a school nurse? 
23 years


Why did you become a school nurse?
When my children were pre-school age, I was a stay at home mom. My son's principal at QE knew the school district was looking for a part-time RN at Tohickon Valley and thought it would be a perfect fit for me.  Both of my own children had very serious health issues in elementary school and I really depended on the school nurses. It was reassuring to know there was a medical professional in the building all day every day. I spent 9 years part-time at Tohickon and I'm in my 14th year full time at Richland.


How has COVID impacted your job this school year? 
"The days and weeks never really end. I'm constantly checking my emails about COVID cases. There's less illness due to social distancing, masks and more handwashing. Parents are less likely to send an ill child to school. 

One bright side to the past 11 months has been getting to work closely with all the district nurses. In the past we all took care of our own buildings and didn't get to interact very often. They are a smart, conscientious, caring and funny group of women. I couldn't have gotten through the year without them."


Out of all of your responsibilities, what do you feel is your biggest challenge?
Contact tracing is definitely a big challenge. You never realize how many people in a school work with a child until you try to contact trace. Along with concern for the safety of the children, I want to make sure I communicate with my staff, especially the ones with underlying health conditions. 


What do you find most rewarding as a school nurse?
It's rewarding to know that many parents and children are grateful that I'm in school everyday for emergencies both big and small.


Using just one word, name something that drives your passion?
Caring


What's something you'd like to share with the Quakertown community?
The nurses really want to get everyone in the QCSD vaccinated for COVID-19 and will do whatever we can to make that happen as quickly as possible. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QCEA Celebrates Retirees: Jonathan Lechner

QCEA President Shares Statement at 11/12/20 School Board Meeting

Welcome to QCSD, Erin Camburn!